The extent to which you will prepare the house correctly for sale may affect the potential buyer’s willingness to buy it, and of course, the price he will be willing to pay. In many cases, self storage services can help prepare the house so that it will be very attractive to potential buyers. There is a whole field called “home staging” that deals with organizing a house in a manner that will upgrade the property before selling or renting it. The goal is to make the house or apartment more attractive to as many potential buyers as possible, leading to a quicker sale for a higher price.
The goal of home staging is to emphasize the house’s advantages and to make it more inviting and attractive, so that anyone would want to live in it, with a minimal investment, without conducting major renovations on the house. This is done by removing furniture and items creating unwanted clutter from the house, painting the house, adding elements such as artistic pieces and various accessories, and sometimes even purchasing new furniture, which can be taken to the new house after selling the old one. All of this is done to create a better first impression of the house. According to studies, most potential buyers make up their minds about a house within 60 seconds of entering it, and the decision is completely emotional.
Renting a self-storage unit before selling the house or apartment
In the US and Europe, over 50% of apartment sellers use home staging services, and the field has recently taken off in Israel as well. Renting a self-storage unit helps house owners clear away unnecessary items that create a cluttered and crowded feeling, thus giving the house a bigger, more organized and cleaner appearance. It also often helps create the impression that the house’s lighting is better.
A self-storage unit for rent serves as an excellent temporary solution for the period between selling the house and moving into a new house. In many cases, a relatively small self-storage unit suffices since it only serves to store a number of items, and not all of the furniture and the items in the house. For this reason, the cost isn’t high, and it is definitely worthwhile when taking into account the profit earned by increasing the sum received for the apartment.
What should be stored in the self-storage unit?
The following tips can help you understand what should be stored prior to presenting the house to potential buyers:
- Kitchen and bathrooms – store all of the things that create a mess or disorder, including little items like jars of food products on the counter and magnets on the refrigerator. The goal is for the potential buyer to imagine himself living in the house with the things he likes and connects with.
- Living room – clear away unnecessary objects and furniture from the living room. A cluttered living room may raise the potential buyers’ fear that the house does not have enough storage options. Remember that the buyers come to see the house, the property and the possibilities, not your personal objects.
- Master bedroom – your bedroom’s design must be inviting for both genders. If you’ve designed an especially feminine bedroom or, alternatively, a masculine one, consider storing part of the things to create a more gender-neutral look.
- Additional bedrooms – try to think of the different uses for each room. You may have turned one of the rooms into a home office or gym, and for the potential buyer it could serve as a children’s room… in this case, clearing the room of equipment and objects that will make it difficult for him to imagine how the room will serve him is recommended.
- Walk-in closet – if the house has a walk-in closet, it is important to organize it too, and to clear unnecessary things from it. The buyers will want to see the walk-in closet and its storage space, and it can serve as a significant advantage for selling if you emphasize its full potential.
- Garden / balconies – if your garden / balconies are full of objects, the buyer’s won’t see the potential for a quiet corner for relaxing with a morning tea or at the end of the day. Clear away unnecessary objects to give the space a larger and more pleasant appearance.
Green Storage is a professional self storage company that offers a wide variety of self-storage units for short or long-term storage. The company holds a license for managing self storage units and its services include content insurance. You are welcome to come see the self-storage units that are under 24/7 continuous maintenance and security.
To consult with our professional staff, call – 02-9944330